Saturday, July 20, 2013

Why I do Horse and Musket in 6 and 10mm scales

What battles looked like of the time

A closer shot of the right from the picture above

The original picture hangs in the Heer Army Museum in Vienna. I cannot recommend this museum too highly! It is simply awesome and the staff knowledgeable and helpful. Of particular note, I would like to point out the number of and placement of the unit's leadership when deployed for combat. No rules that "I" know of even tries to account for how well they did their job in keeping the unit's cohesion as a unit., during a turn. My defininition of "Unit Cohesion" is not just formation cohesion, but rather, how effective "the unit's leadership maintains control of the efforts of the men". It is pretty obious that the melee in the center of the bottom close-up there is no formation cohesion, but a close look at the Bavarians breaking seems to show that their unit's leadership retains sufficient control to extricate their command from a very bad situation! (Note that some remain engaging the enemy to allow the rest of the unit to escape.)

I made a lot of pictures at that museum! Below, I have a few of the captured Prussian standards on display with the descriptions of their previous owners, below the flags.
On display are a LOT more trophies. Not just from the SYW, but from all periods that the Austrian Empire participated in. But for staying with the SYW, what follows next are some captured Prussian fusilier and a couple of grenadier mitres on display. I include them for fellow painters who would like to get the "details" right.
I hope you have enjoyed this blog entry. Please let me know if you would like to see more such shots as I have been visiting museums across Europe in search of such original articles.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for those; interesting and useful. Please do post more!

    Cheers,

    David
    http://nba-sywtemplates.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, David, I will as long as folks like it.

      Delete